Thursday, October 8, 2009

Lesson 4 - "These thoughts do not mean anything" - Robert

The lesson for this week was "These thoughts do not mean anything." I actually stayed with this lesson a bit longer than usual. I beleive Aaron has already moved onto Lesson 5, and will be posting some content shortly. However, I've liked and stayed with this particular lesson for a few reasons.

1 - Validation - I am validated in my understanding that now my previously learned concepts and ideas, or thoughts, are in themselves meaningless. I had learned this or come to this realization over several years of work, and refinement of self, but never fully adopted the idea. This validation aids my adoption, and helps me understand the dychotomy.

2 - Self Acceptance - I find that this particular exercise really helps me with my own personal self acceptance. We all struggle with this, if we didn't struggle with our identities, we wouldn't be here. What do I mean? You have a soul, its objectives, a mind with its objectives, and your body with its needs. If you haven't experienced this conflict you're not paying attention. That being said, I really like this lesson because it helps me "normalize" my thoughts to a neutral state. Relinquishing my need to prioritize, or judge my thoughts as "good" or "bad" and just accept what is.

3 - Viable skill - This particular lesson can be used as a viable skill in times of distress. Those times when the mental chatter doesn't stop, and you're letting the machine run away with itself... perpetually judging itself or others as the mind often does. This lesson and skill can be used to help shutdown the mind machine, as the mind seems to focus on what it percieves as "urgent" thoughts, instead of important ones.

I am thankful that we're now blogging our experiences with this text and these lessons, because it really helps me go back and review, and remind myself to integrate these concepts into daily life. Without these concepts in this form, or similar forms - life would be much more problematic.

No comments:

Post a Comment