Friday, September 4, 2009

Lesson One - An Experience of the meaningless --Robert

"Nothing I see in this room [on this street, from this window,
in this place] means anything."

After a long day of seemingly achieving all of my objectives, completely caught up in the illusion around me, I managed to bring myself back to lesson one as I rode home on the subway. I caught myself as a matter of fact, reflecting on all the discussions of the day, all of the perceptions I've enhanced, and all of the praise I had received. It was a particularly good day from a work perspective, and I was given a few compliments.

As I reflected upon this, I looked at someone on the subway, she was an older women, perhaps in her 50's. Life has left its mark on her face, as she stared down at her hands, and it was then that I realized... what does this matter? It doesn't mean anything. I looked around me, and saw the various people on the subway, each fully immersed in their own process, each at a different stage of development. Some were the flashy business types, while others were the older working folk... and yet others still you wondered if they had a job at all. Each struggling in their own way, each managing the cause and effect relationships in their lives to the best of their abilities... and then I'm gently reminded... it doesn't matter, it doesn't really mean anything.

These people, these vessels for something more, each playing out the role of their life script, each learning and experiencing what they need to. Each working out their own emotional issues, or attempting to find solace from a frightening existence. But in truth... it doesn't mean anything.

When you look at the big picture, when you understand that life itself is eternal, what does all of this toil and trouble really matter? It doesn't. We've created the illusions, each for our own purpose, each to remember ourselves through new eyes. So do the physical objects, or people actually mean anything of themselves? No they don't. The only meaning anything has is the meaning you give it.

No comments:

Post a Comment